Welcome to the web site of the Biddulph and District Genealogy and Historical Society. The aim of the Society is to promote genealogy and local history particularly pertaining to the Biddulph area.
This will be achieved by:
- undertaking research and publishing wherever possible
- purchasing resources that may become available or required by the society
- having a regular programme of speakers
1. There will be “A Christmas Book Sale” on 16th of December
in Biddulph Library between 10 a.m. - 2 p.m.
SPECIAL CHRISTMAS GIFT OFFER
Images of England - Biddulph Volumes 1 and 2 by Derek Wheelhouse
Volume 1 has 2 different covers with Volume 2 on the right.
At a new low price of £6 each or both books for £10
It will also be the launch of Transactions No.12 ‘Ada - Love At Jerusalem’ research by Christine Jesson into the book written by Henry Francis Gordon and published in 1895 with references to Biddulph and Knypersley (40 A4 pages at £4).
The original book was found in the collection of the late Mr. Harry Page.
Please see the Publications page for further information.
2. At the BDGHS Committee Meeting on the 15th of November 2017 the future of Footpath No. 29 and the Sprink tunnel was discussed. Information about the tunnel and other features of Mr. Bateman’s park was presented to the meeting. If Staffordshire County Council aren't dissuaded from its plan to divert the footpath permanently then the tunnel loses its protection. As a matter of urgency there is a need to list the tunnel and adjacent arch to avoid a part of the Bateman legacy from falling into disrepair.
You can read the information about the Sprink Tunnel prepared for the Committee Meeting by clicking INFORMATION.
You can read the Chairman's letter to the Mrs Sarah Haydon, Chief Officer of Biddulph Town Council by clicking LETTER
3. Thank you to Mr. Michael Turnock for signing copies of his new book “Always Doing His Duty - The story of John Harold Rhodes VC DCM and bar” at its successful launch on the 11th of November 2017.
4. All our books are available from the Society, at Society Meetings, Leek Books and Biddulph Library. [Please note: The Biddulph High Street Book “Goowin dine th”grayn” is no longer available except as an Adobe PDF file]
Chairperson - Mr. Roland Machin
David J. Outhwaite (Secretary & Sale of Publications)
You can ask David any questions about the BDGHS. However, if you have a genealogy or a family history question then you can Ask the Reverend Hadfield and a member of the Society will contact you, as soon as possible.
If you're a regular visitor you may wish to check the Site News page which not only lists the latest changes but also tells you how you can be notified by email of future changes.
To Bookmark this page please right-click on this link to the Biddulph & District Genealogical & Historical Society and follow your Browser's intsructions. For further information about the web-site please click here.
Local and Family History for the Biddulph area
These web pages are hosted by 1and1, and the site was originally
created by the late Mr. David Moore
Last updated: On the 1st of December 2017 by DJO